- Welcome to Prescott Valley
- Prescott Valley Historical Society
- Chapel of the Valley - Fain Park
Chapel of the Valley - Fain Park
Johnie Lee Fain's dream was to build a Chapel. Not an ordinary structure, but 'one comfortably nestled in the lap of nature and filled with the Spirit of God. A safe haven that provided comfort and refuge to all who entered.' Johnie's passion was passed on to her daughter, Carolyn “Sue” Fain. The sanctuary we behold today was built with money donated by Sue, as a final tribute to her Mother's vision.
-Courtesy of www.chapelofthevalley.net
Timeline For The Chapel of the Valley Stained Glass Windows
1878: Sisters of Mercy arrive in Prescott
1896: Land purchased and Hospital Construction started
1898: Construction Completed
1906: Stained Glass windows made in Germany
1940: Mercy Hospital Burns, Chapel Windows Salvaged
1972: Windows Offered For Sale, Henry Brooks of Prescott purchases windows and stores them at his home
2002: Chapel of the Valley Dedicated in Prescott Valley's Fain Park
Sisters of Mercy at Mercy Hospital in Prescott, Arizona in 1896
Mercy Hospital, shown here in 1918, was built in 1898 on Grove Street in Prescott, AZ. The hospital chapel (pictured) contained the magnificent stained glass windows, which were made in Germany in 1906 and ultimately ended up in Fain Chapel in Prescott Valley. The chapel windows were salvaged and stored away after the hospital burned down on June 8, 1940. The chapel and the one-story building in front survived the fire and are the only parts of the complex that still stand today. A new brick building was built in front of the old chapel.
This is a picture of the same area today. These buildings are now part of Prescott College.
Hear the story of Prescott Valley's Chapel of the Valley and its stained glass windows through the eyes of Dawn Fain
Henry Brooks of Prescott Purchases Windows
Chapel of the Valley (Fain Chapel) today with windows from the Mercy Hospital Chapel.
Learn More About Henry Brooks and The purchase and storage of the Fain Chapel Windows
Henry Brooks also donated an Estey Reed Pipe Organ, circa 1877, to the Chapel. It was installed at the Chapel in 2006 shortly after Henry's passing.